Monday 7 January 2008

I'm sorry I Havant a clue

Unless I am doing a particularly bad job of web-searching, it doesn't appear that anyone is televising the Havant & Waterlooville vs Swansea City FA Cup replay on Wednesday. This is a shame, as Havant & Waterlooville's ground would have been one of the most comically shabby affairs ever to be beamed into the nation's living rooms. I had the pleasure of watching the mighty Bath City defeat Havant 4-1 away in the penultimate game of the 2003-04 Dr Martens Premier season, the third of a four-game winning streak that almost, almost saw us avoid de facto relegation when the non-league pyramid was restructured. Thankfully we were promoted within three years and now count Havant as colleagues in Conference South.

Havant is basically in inland suburb of Portsmouth. The club's ground, Westleigh Park, is a corrugated iron shithole several miles from the town centre, in the middle of an industrial park. I simply cannot understand why anyone would choose to spend their Saturday afternoons there (obviously many would say the same of my beloved Twerton Park.)

That said, fair play to H&W for sticking to their guns this time. When they drew Millwall at home in the 1st round of the FA Cup last season, they bowed to police pressure and moved the game to Fratton Park, losing £20,000 in the process.

4 comments:

Martin J Davies said...

I very much enjoyed the titular pun.

Also, I forgot to look at the BS Premier table when Ebbsfleet were taken over Re: our wager. Any ideas?

Point 3: Go Giants! Go Eli Manning, the Phil Neville of the gridiron!

Martin J Davies said...

4 fucking 2!

Anonymous said...

go on the havant!

i did check about ebbsfleet, they were about ninth, but myFC hasn't actually taken over yet. i trust we can stick to the spirit of the wager and not start counting until they do? i'll keep an eye on it.

also do you have any plans for the superbowl. for the first time in years i can actually stay up all night watching it, and i'll be in london that night.

Martin J Davies said...

The wager will still stand from the moment myFC takes over to the end of whatever season that is. I think that's fair.

I will be watching the Supebowl with my man JahJahDub in my house, eating biscuits and drinking coffee. Let's hope the Giants beat the Packers tomorrow, in what promises to be arctic conditions. Funny how nobody mentions that Favre holds the NFL record for interceptions in a career, as well as TDs.

I think watching the amazing game against the Cowboys last week whilst shouting at the TV confirmed I how much I've fallen for those G Men.