Saturday 17 May 2014

The three stages of footballing interest (for someone who doesn't like football)

You know that bit in The Commitments when that guy says of music, "I don't know why you bother. Everything's shite since Roy Orbison died." That's pretty much how I feel about football since van Nistelrooy went to Real Madrid.

A simpler time
It's hard, being drawn to football without liking it much. You need a framework.

I can't watch football as a fan. I don't care about any of the teams. In my 20s I could identify, at a pinch, with the players. Now I'm too old for that and I haven't watched any games for years.

Recently though, I've found myself obsessively following results. The key is the managers. I doubt I could name more than twenty Premiership players, but I'd have a fair stab at most of the managers. Greying men, their primes behind them, trying to ride chaos. These are the guys I can relate to.

The third stage of my interest in football might kick in when I'm in late middle age: an identification with international managers, the semi-retired. Right now, though, I couldn't care less about those old geezers. And I don't care about their players. So how can I care about the World Cup?

Guys, what's the way in?

4 comments:

Alistair Johnston said...

May end up supporting Bradford, I suppose, through my kids. Still, don't think they're sending many players to the World Cup.

oliver said...

Through the countries obviously!!!

oliver said...

I do really like the three stages notion, though!

Alistair Johnston said...

Just seen your excellent post on ways to enjoy the World Cup. I think my main problem is isolation. If I watch any games it'll be alone. None of the josh and blather of drinking with friends with a TV on in the corner.

The main problem for me with the world cup is that there are insufficient games for me to follow the results and start enjoying (at a remove) the managers and momentums. The only way in is to watch the games, and that's probably a non-starter.