Thursday 15 November 2007

Power to the (capitalist) people

"Democracy" and "fan power" have now landed in the UK, specifically in the Blue Square Premier (aka the Conference), where Ebbsfleet FC, not content with changing THE NAME OF THE CLUB to suit sponsors Eurostar, have now sold a 51% stake to venture capitalist firm myfootballclub.co.uk. Team tactics, starting XI will now be decided etc etc.

The "real-life Championship Manager" model is without doubt a rather cute idea. The terraces have always been a pretty vibrant marketplace of ideas - how wonderful to get all Freakonomics on that shit and have the fans actually call the shots.

Except... the new owners aren't fans. Or rather, they aren't fans of Ebbsfleet FC - they're just fans of a rather cute idea. For example Tom Dear, one of the folk who paid 35 quid for a stake in the club:

“To be honest, I didn’t even know Ebbsfleet existed. I don’t know if it will work, but it will be interesting".

Interesting indeed, great fodder for dinner parties and down the pub. "Yes I'm part of that online club thing. We get to pick the players, it's all very modern and interesting. Rather interestingly, all the players are completely unmotivated, none of the actual fans turn up anymore and the club is facing both relegation and bankruptcy. Still, I reckon I've got my 35 quid's worth."

Of course, the fabled wisdom of crowds could in fact propel Ebbsfleet into the League: time will tell. But Christ, I'm glad it's not my club.

8 comments:

Martin J Davies said...

You bugger, I was just going to post about this when I saw you had already :)

You're wrong, of course. Your hypothetical nightmare scenario is a fantasy. I think it's much more likely the club gains more publicity, more fans and rockets up the league. And what could be more motivating to the players than knowing an excellent performance will be rewarded by the fans, rather than (say) a grumpy old fart of a manager with a personal grudge against you?

I would love this to happen to my club. Not least because we suck so hard and have such terrible gates, nothing could be worse...

oliver said...

Well, in fairness, both my nightmare scenario and your incredible success scenario are fantasies at present. I think some kind of wager is in order, autocracy vs democracy.

It will be absolutely fascinating to see how they get on results-wise. Players' motivations will become distorted, I think, with more emphasis on attaining granular, visible stats than putting in a good team performance.

The figure I'm really interested in is average gate, however - i predict a short-term bump followed by a long-term decline. it simply makes a mockery of a club's traditions to turn it into the plaything of a bunch of internet geeks.

also i wonder how much fun it would actually be to take part as an owner - if you disagree with the consensus, it's just you voting and losing every week - just the same as having a manager you disagree with, but 35 quid more expensive.

Martin J Davies said...

Tradition, shmadition. Where's your concern for the dismantling of a longer tradition at the club when Gravesend United FC (formed in 1893) and Northfleet United FC (formed in 1890) merged in 1946 to become Gravesend & Northfleet FC? Eh? Eh?

Ebbsfleet are currently 9th. How about if they finish above that, you give me a fiver, below that, I give you a fiver?

Deal?

oliver said...

the website doesn't take over the club till january, but i will wager a fiver that the club will finish below whatever its position is on Dec 31.

also i do actually hate it when clubs merge, e.g. Hayes & Yeading! Team Bath City... the stuff of nightmares

Martin J Davies said...

I agree to the wager as stated to the value of five pouns, each way.

My man Dan is an Oxford United fan. How he wishes they'd merged with Reading in the 80s (Thames Valley Royals anyone?), given the wildly differing fortunes of the two clubs since.

Alistair Johnston said...

"time will tell. But Christ, I'm glad it's not my club"

Understandable, Oli, your club is run a peach.

Alistair Johnston said...

btw, this is old news, right?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071023/wr_nm/soccer_internet_israel_dc

Israel: always on point.

Anonymous said...

deal.

Al: I was referring to Bath City rather than Chelsea. City is actually an example of genuine fan power, as the fans own a majority stake in the club.